This course provides beginning Mongolian learners with a wide selection of materials and task-oriented, communicative activities that facilitate the development of speaking, listening, reading, and writing in Uyghur. Because the course is designed for beginners, it does not presume any previous knowledge of written or spoken Uyghur.
The aim of this course is to provide students with an introductory knowledge of the Uyghur language as well as the culture of the Uyghurs. The spoken language of educated native speakers, as well as the contemporary literary language as reflected in the media, will be emphasized throughout.
This course will familiarize students with the alphabet and sound system of Uyghur, and provide a systematic presentation of its basic structure and ordinary use by stressing extensive practice in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
The use of English in the conversation hours will be kept to a minimum; instead, Uyghur will be used mostly. Throughout the course, students will be exposed to authentic audio/visual materials, including videos and photographs illustrating the contemporary cultural life of Uyghurs.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Engage in simple conversations on a number of everyday topics using Uyghur.
- Read simple texts and understand the main ideas of texts written in Uyghur.
- Write short texts using Uyghur.
- Write simple answers to questions on familiar topics using Uyghur
- Participate in simple interactions following social conventions of Uyghur Culture.
- Ask and answer simple questions on very familiar topics.
- Use familiar words and very basic phrases to talk about yourself, your family and immediate surroundings in conversations.
- Understand familiar names, words and very simple sentences, for example on notices and posters or in catalogues.
- Write a short, simple document, for example a holiday card or postcards.
- Fill in forms with personal details, for example entering your name, nationality and address on a hotel registration form.
- Elementary Uyghur – Online modules via Canvas developed by CeLCAR, Indiana University, 2015-2018.
- Nazarova, Gulnisa. Uyghur: An Elementary Textbook (with multimedia CD), Georgetown University Press, 2012.
- yulghun.com Online Uyghur-English and English-Uyghur dictionary.