496 pp., 8.5 x 11
Paperback (1 CD-ROM)
Pashto: An Intermediate Textbook
Designated a critical language by the US Department of Defense, Pashto is one of the two official languages of Afghanistan and is commonly spoken in parts of Pakistan. This intermediate-level textbook, which follows Pashto: An Elementary Textbook, Volumes 1 and 2, is designed to bring students from high-introductory to intermediate proficiency. It offers students with basic knowledge of Pashto a thematically organized approach that develops strong speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills in the language used in everyday life and in official communications, the mass media, and the educational system of Afghanistan.
Utilizing current innovations in foreign language teaching, Pashto: An Intermediate Textbook is an invaluable resource for professionals and students wishing to improve their proficiency in this critical language.
Features of Pashto: An Intermediate Textbook:
• A CD-ROM featuring more than a hundred audio files. Vocabulary lists allow readers to hover over a written word or phrase and hear it in both eastern and western dialects.
• Carefully selected themes, including practical situations in survival and rich descriptions of the Pashtun code of honor and wedding customs, in order to help students learn the language within its cultural context.
• Grammar points that help students quickly master the essential function of the structural elements used in the texts.
• Pashto-English and English-Pashto glossaries that provide information regarding the gender and number of nouns, adjectives, and various forms of verbs.
• Attractive four-color, user-friendly design with integrated audio and written exercises and cultural notes to provide students with necessary background.
Rahmon Inomkhojayev is a professor at the Tashkent State Institute of Oriental Studies, where he teaches Pashto and Afghan studies. He is from Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
"Dr. Rahmon Inomkhojayev must be commended for writing the first textbook of the Pashto language which has become a language of strategic importance for the US and NATO. Pashto: An Intermediate Textbook is an easy to follow content-based language book that focuses on building proficiency in all language skills in a variety of cultural scenarios of life in Afghanistan."—Farooq Babrakzai, Academic Specialist, Defense Language Institute